Thirteen of the best student safety patrollers in the Washington-Metropolitan area are being honored today for their efforts. These AAA Mid-Atlantic School Safety Patrol Award officers are recognized for being on time, excellent students and role models.
Take Patroller Kelly K. Gallogly, a sixth grader at St. Martin’s School in Montgomery County. Kelly was taking a younger student to her awaiting car when the wind blew her escort’s hat off and into the street. The youngster – a first-grader – left Kelly’s side to retrieve her hat. As the first-grader was about to dart out into the oncoming traffic, Kelly reached out and grabbed her, just missing a car. Kelly’s heroics earned her the admiration of many at her school. She received a certificate of excellence at a subsequent lunch period as well as a well-deserved standing ovation from her peers for her life-saving actions.
This year’s AAA School Safety Patrols of the Year are:
- Mysha Kader – William Ramsay Elementary School (Alexandria, VA)
- Christine Dziedzic – Kent Gardens Elementary School (McLean, VA)
- Ann N. Vonasek – Canterbury Woods Elementary School (Annandale, VA)
- Ekalad Pathammavong – Carlin Springs Elementary School (Arlington, VA)
- Katie O’Connor – C. Hunter Ritchie Elementary School (Warrenton, VA)
- Humza Habaqe – Mayfield Intermediate School (Manassas, VA)
- Ayesha Khursheed – Triangle Elementary School (Triangle, VA)
- Brenda Navarro Henriquez – Rolling Ridge Elementary School (Sterling, VA)
- Kayleigh Hite – Leslie Fox Keyser Elementary School (Front Royal, VA)
- Brett Oppenheimer – Key Elementary School (Washington, DC)
- Elijah Finfera – Dr. Gustavus Brown Elementary School (Waldorf, MD)
- Lindsay Stirling – St. James School (Falls Church, VA)
- Kelly Gallogly – St. Martin’s School (Germantown, MD)
The School Safety Patrol program, which is administered by The Mid-Atlantic Foundation for Safety and Education, instills traffic safety through this one-of-a-kind peer leadership program.